Monday, November 5

Without Friends Like These, Who Needs Friends....

I think that Piko is worried that I don't have any friends.

We were at her school helping out with set up for the Halloween Party"Fall Festival". Naturally the PTA is a bunch on ladies with a couple of dads and husbands thrown in.

So as we are leaving Piko asks me :"Mommy, you're making new grown up friends?"

Sarge mumbles under his breath: "God I hope not."

So I have to explain that while these nice ladies are not exactly my friends, they're not exactly not either.

A good teaching point I guess. I tell her it's like this, I don't expect her to be friends with everyone, there is always going to be someone in your class that you don't especially like. But I DO expect you to be polite and respectful to everyone, that includes people you don't really care for.

And then I thought nothing of it.

A couple of days later we're at a the fall sports awards banquet, and we bump into one of the PTA ladies that I actually wouldn't mind being friends with. We chat for a few minutes, and she talks with Piko a little. Later Piko asks me again if I'm going to be friends with the "Nice Lady".

I think that sometimes children are not given enough credit for being able to pick up on social cues, and folk think that they are not very observant. Heck, I don't think that my child is particularly observant most of the time, but sometimes she really does surprise me.

No comments: